The essential characteristics of epoxy and polyurethane
epoxy and polyurethane resins both; Typically, these two component compositions. The mixing of the components for all types of resin material to create the desired properties of fracture repair.
in the epoxy resin component and no starch; blended before the crack injection. The mixing ratio is typically part of a two-part epoxy starch. Injection epoxies usually heal within three to four hours. Cured epoxy strong bond and a hard plastic-like texture.
Polyurethane, while not necessarily a two-component mixture, typically two; one for resin and the other an accelerator. Unlike the epoxy, the texture varies considerably curable polyurethane; It can not be generalized to specific properties of cured polyurethane.
Differences epoxy and polyurethanes Crack Injection Processes
significant differences in how polyurethane and epoxy crack injection is carried out. Epoxy injection is called “Surface port injection” because it involves the use of injection ports inject the epoxy-T is a crack.
polyurethane injection involves using a much higher injection pressure packers inserted into drilled holes in the crack in a poured concrete foundation. As epoxy, polyurethane fills the crack through the entire thickness of the foundation to prevent water from entering the cracks. Professional Polyurethane crack injection generally include the washing process to clean the cracks to improve adhesion of the crack.
Advantages epoxy crack injection
1. The tensile strength of the cured epoxy is greater than the cast concrete . energized, epoxy crack repair is not permitted.
2. epoxy injections to give a positive confirmation of the injection technician that the crack is completely full.
3. epoxy crack injection is highly reliable due to the low failure rate.
4. Epoxy curing time to allow the epoxy to the gravity of the crack, thus filling every part, even the finest cracks.
Benefits of Polyurethane Crack Injection
used independently of the first polyurethane cracking condition and the weather. It does not matter if the crack is actively leaking, full of mud and / or mineral deposits, or if it is small or large.
second polyurethane injection involves cracking flushing process that cleans up before the crack injection.
3. The chemical expansion of polyurethane and fill voids in the concrete.
4. The fast-curing polyurethane is preferred when rapid waterstopping needed.
Disadvantages epoxy Crack Injection
1. The moisture adversely affects the adhesive properties of epoxy used to adhere the fastening T ports onto the crack. Without adequate adhesion to the epoxy anchor will not withstand the injection pressure.
2. epoxy improper re-injection had been administered to repair a crack that failed.
3. homeowner’s basement leak repair of hydraulic cement or sealant may make appropriate epoxy injections because there is no surface access to the crack, mud and / or minerals has built a crack, and the concrete around parts of the cracks are often damaged by water saturation.
4. The curing time and the availability of viscosity epoxy positive qualities, but also weak points. Based on epoxy crack injection of epoxy inside a crack in the containment until the epoxy cured. This use of containment against the outer wall of compacted soil. Poor compaction, air gap membranes and the use of epoxies will result in insufficient viscosity epoxy bleeding on the ground.
Note: The negative traits are often strong epoxy bond caused due epoxy crack injection stiffness. Keep in mind that the entire cast concrete rigid base; Therefore, the flexibility of the material used to inject crack, in my opinion, is not logical, because there is no real need to accommodate crack movement.
Drawbacks of Polyurethane Crack Injection
The first polyurethane flexible and able to accommodate compressive force does not get along well when they are exposed to considerable tension; Consequently, it is possible that polyurethane will break if an excessive voltage is a crack unless reinforced.
2. Unlike the injection of epoxy, polyurethane injection, crack injection does not provide the technician positive reinforcement that the crack is completely full.
Foundation Crack strengthening
The structural strengthening of cracks in the foundation does not reach epoxy crack injection itself and / or the use of carbon fiber staples confirmation. The cracked basement walls can be reinforced structurally independent of the injection method.
or be in the state of compression or tension cracks at any time. The state is a crack vary during the year due to themal cycling, soil and variable pressure on the foundation wall. However, polyurethane epoxy does not yield tensile forces may break due to a stress fracture.
OK, so what is the best method for repair of cracks in concrete: epoxy or polyurethane? In my opinion, one should use epoxy crack injection, wherever possible. However, the characteristics of the crack to enter suggests the method used. It did not take into account the characteristics of each injection significantly increases the likelihood of crack repair failure.
For a more detailed comparison, two crack injection methods ++, visit our website at Www.aquaguardinjection.com
Source by Jon Gerber